Hi! I am Brittany. My love of independence and travel began as a toddler camping in Maine with my parents – or so I’m told. It was then that I embarked on a solo journey at dawn to the nearby lake – probably to think deep toddler thoughts on the great outdoors – while my parents slept blissfully unaware of my departure. They were not pleased to wake to the dead fish I brought back to them as a souvenir of my first solo adventure.
Since then, I have embarked on many adventures domestically and a couple internationally. I have some great dreams for my travel future and I hope you follow along as I make those dreams come true.
Why independent travel is so important to me.
As an anxious introvert I tend to overthink and over-analyze everything, and then completely internalize it. I know this about myself, and I actively try to reign it in and intentionally relax on a daily basis. I have experienced a few unfortunate events in my life, which partly contributed to my anxiety, but also cast a shadow of on-and-off depression as well. Almost every day is a challenge for me – some days worse than others.
Travel opens me up and excites me. Especially independent travel. Although I’m nervous as hell going through it, in the end, I feel empowered and confident in my abilities in both my personal and professional life. Sometimes the one thing that gets me through a rough patch is knowing that I have plans to travel. Whether near or far, I feel invigorated being on the move.
How I hope to help you.
For several years now, my goal in life has been to be brave. The everyday type of brave that those suffering from depression and anxiety must be – brave enough to live my life. Brave enough to go to work with a smile on my face. Mighty enough to pursue the things that enliven me.
I keep a Mighty Life List going to remind myself to do just that. It’s more than just a bucket list of places I want to go, although I definitely mention plenty of places. It’s more like a list of experiences and lessons I think will help me develop and grow personally and professionally, mentally and emotionally.
By sharing my fears and apprehensions, as well as ways in which I (attempt to) overcome them, I hope to inspire other conflicted anxious and adventurous types to move beyond their comfort levels and challenge themselves.
I have always forged my own path on my own timeline, and you can too!
Questions, comments, or stories? Here’s what to do:
I’d be delighted to hear directly from you! For general questions about independent/solo travel , overcoming fear/anxiety/depression, or my minimalist lifestyle, I’m excited to be able to answer many of them through my blog posts. I invite you to follow along or search the site.
Email me: brittany [at] transformedthrutravel [dot] com
Enjoy photos from current and past travels on Instagram. I hope they inspire you!
Like Transformed Thru Travel on Facebook for regular travel and lifestyle tips and news from me, other bloggers, and industry leaders.
For the most part, I only check in on what Shia LaBeouf is up to, but sometimes I’m on Twitter, too!
You might as well join me on Snapchat while you’re at it.
Keep scrolling for some interesting (maybe weird?) facts all about me!
26 Things About Brittany
- INTJ personality – “A paradox to most observers, INTJs are able to live by glaring contradictions that nonetheless make perfect sense”
- To reiterate the point above, I am a walking contradiction – I’m introverted but not shy. I am a natural leader but despise being in the spotlight. I am a homebody and a traveler. I’m a minimalist and a nester.
- I studied Geography and Communications in college.
- Nutella on Ritz Crackers is one of my favorite snacks.
- I haven’t eaten beef since I was 8 years old. It’s a texture thing and it just gives me a bellyache now.
- I’m obsessed with Tiny Houses. They are everything I believe in. Minimalism, efficiency, and mobility.
- During my first year of AmeriCorps, I slept in a tent more nights than I slept in a bed.
- My first airplane ride was when I was 20 years old.
- I used to beg my dentist for braces because I think they are cute.
- Toe thumbs give you instant friend status. I can spot them from a mile away, so don’t try hiding them!
- I grew up on beautiful Cape Cod.
- The first time I wore makeup was at my senior prom.
- Sun Ripened Raspberry (BRING IT BACK!) and Warm Vanilla Sugar from Bath & Body Works are my favorite scents.
- I talked myself out of studying abroad in college because I had too many credits and it would be a “waste of money” to move to Australia for a semester. Regret city, population me.
- I started this blog while I lived in California as an online “newsletter” to update my East Coast friends and family. Check out my first post.
- Give me ALL the banana Runts!
- I have a massive souvenir magnet and mug collection.
- Small talk, parking my car, and unnecessary hugging gives me anxiety.
- I still have unanswered questions about LOST.
- Horror movies are best when viewed completely alone.
- I keep floss, a toothbrush, and toothpaste at home, in my purse, gym bag, and my work desk.
- Three of my closest friends have red hair, blue eyes, and freckles, and I love them. Two of them have toe thumbs!
- I like to name my pets after French monarchs (Louis, Charlemagne), or what type of animal they are (Froggie, Kittie, Hermie).
- I love driving or walking over bridges.
- I don’t often play video games, but I will play the shit out of Sim City and Mario Party 6.
- Teen drama marathons are my favorite. Beverly Hills 90210 to Vampire Diaries and everything in between <3.